Black Mountain is the most well known golf course in Hua Hin and probably the most or second most famous course in Thailand.
The reason is simple. Great marketing. The course is easily the best marketed course in the country with advertising boards scattered throughout the town of Hua Hin showing the price, the deals and the name everywhere.
Often marketing leads to disappointment. But not here. Black Mountain is infinitely playable and fun.
What makes Black Mountain unique?
- Three nines - North, East, West. North and East are the championship courses they use on the Asian and European Tours.
- Six (6) sets of tees. ANYONE can play this course, from the pro's at 7,300 to 7,600 yards all the way down to 5,600 yards.
- Clubhouse overlooks the 9th and 18th green of the championship courses. This is not unique in the west but in Thailand, this is VERY unique and makes you feel at home.
- Caddies are HIGHLY trained and some are tour caddie quality. They provide a service second to none with conscientiousness, and accuracy. Their demeanor is ALWAYS cheerful and they always enhance your experience.
- The estate is run by Scandinavians and only residents are allowed to be members. The place is well manicured, spotless, brilliant.
- They have a full practice facility: grass and mat driving range. Chipping green with bunker. Practice green. You can get fully warmed up. Many courses do not have driving ranges.
- The entire golf experience is more 'international'. From when you arrive to when the caddie puts your bag back in the car, you are treated as a guest. There's no dual pricing. You are taken care of with a smile.
- It's super laid back. Despite being a high end, championship experience, you never ever feel like you're in some stuffy place. It's super relaxed, everyone is having a great time, and the locals are totally chill.
How does Black Mountain look?
Here's a video of us playing Black Mountain.
The cold hard fact about Black Mountain Golf Course in Hua Hin
It is a superb golf course.
Not just because it's well maintained and championship quality, but because everyone can play the course. It's set up in a way that challenges the better player. At the same time, a newer player can also enjoy the course without pressure because the vibe is so relaxed.
The greens are easily my favorite in the entire country. They're always in good condition and run no lower than 9.5 on the stimp meter. Down grain and downhill putts beware the speed! The grass on the greens is TifEagle Bermuda which is my favorite.
Fairways are tightly knitted bermuda and rough is kept shortish for general play.
It's a tough walk especially if it's rainy season due to the soft ground. Getting a cart is recommended if you're not used to walking up and down slopes on the golf course.
Black Mountain Hua Hin Green Fee
Green fees: Generally 1,600 and 2,000 Thai baht most of the year. That's roughly $55 to $65 USD.
At times, it can be closer to 3,000 Thai baht ($100) in high season.
Caddie fee: around $13 USD. This is mandatory at all golf courses in Thailand anyway.
Caddie tip: Usually you want to match the caddie fee for the caddie tip.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't tip too high because you spoil the market for the locals - this is not a joke and not "mean" - people playing golf locally are not holidaymakers so they are not blowing cash left and right for two weeks a year. Don't go too low because it's not that much money to you, but a lot to the caddies. If the caddie fee is $13, tip $13 (400 THB) for a standard service. If the service was especially good and you shot a great score with her help, tip more. Try not to tip higher than $20 though otherwise this becomes the 'expected amount' after a while.
My standard tip everywhere now since the pandemic is 500 THB if the caddie was remotely better than average.
Guides for how to play Black Mountain Hua Hin
Follow my channel and watch these videos of us playing there.
Other things to do around Black Mountain
Black Mountain has their own Water Park called the Black Mountain Water Park.
You can stay on the course or nearby the course with Black Mountain stay and play for multiple days and multiple rounds.
The course is in Hin Lek Fai which is about a 15 minute drive to the beach in Hua Hin and about 30 minute drive to Khao Takiab which is also a lovely seaside town attached to Hua Hin city.